Equinix Fabric customers can use IBM Cloud™ Direct Link on Classic to connect on-premises resources to cloud resources.
Use IBM Cloud Direct Link on Classic for:
- Private Connectivity – Establish a direct connection between a customer’s on premises data center environment to their IBM cloud environments
- Connection to IBM Cloud VPCs – Low latency, highly available connections are available such that the VPC network IP addresses are available to a customer’s on premises private network
- Access to IBM Cloud services – Access VPCs, bare metal compute, VMWare, and cloud storage
ASN Validation – Equinix Fabric portal users provisioning Layer 2 connections can access only valid IBM ASNs and exclude blocked ASNs and ASN ranges
Oversubscription Enablement – Allows oversubscription for Equinix Fabric managed ports and customer managed VLANs to efficiently manage port capacity
Local routing is included with all IBM Cloud Direct Link offerings and does not incur any overage fees. Unlimited ingress and egress traffic is provided across the Direct Link.
To reach IBM Cloud resources outside of the local market in which the Direct Link is connected (at a PoP or data center), you must add the Global Routing option. This expands your access to include all IBM Cloud data centers globally.
IBM Cloud account – Set up your parameters as needed
Pairing Key – Copy the generated key during the account setup process
- Log in to Equinix Fabric.
- Click Create Connection.
- In the Frequent Connections section, click IBM Cloud.
- On the IBM Cloud Direct Link Exchange card, click Create Connection.
- In the Origin section, click Port.
- Select a Location.
- Select a Destination.
- Click Next.
- Retrieve your IBM Cloud Account information from the IBM Cloud console.
- In the Connection Information section, enter:
- Name of the Direct Link Connection
- VLAN ID
- IBM Account ID – Your IBM Cloud Account ID is the 32-character ID located in the Account section of the Account settings page.
- (Optional) Equinix Purchase Order Number
- (Optional) Global Data Center Peering Connection
- ASN – The following three ranges of BGP ASN numbers are allowed:
Note: Currently, ASN Validation is available only for provisioning Layer 2 connections. If you enter an ASN number outside these ranges you will be allowed to place the order, but the connection will not show up in IBM Cloud Portal for acceptance.
Accept the connection request by navigating to the IBM Cloud Direct Link Exchange page and clicking Accept from the Action menu.
The virtual connection will display as Provisioned in the Equinix Fabric portal.