ECX Fabric 6.6 Release Notes
Portal URL: https://ecxfabric.equinix.com/
Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric's ECX 6.6 (available as of December 9, 2019) delivers a set of new features over its predecessor release 6.5. Details on the new features are listed in the Release Summary section below.
- Bandwidth Resizing – Layer 2 service profiles (non-integrated service providers) and Oracle FastConnect.
- VC Migration – AWS Diversity Correction (Supporting AWS SellerA seller is a user who makes their services available to end customers through ECX. This guide refers to sellers for shorthand, but ECX generally regards a “seller” as an activity rather than a static person. side only).
- 100G Port online ordering enablement in the ECX Fabric Portal & API Concurrent Session Control.
Virtual Connection (VC) Bandwidth Resizing – Layer 2 Service Profiles and Oracle FastConnect
This bandwidth resizing feature provides for additional bandwidth resizing capabilities in the ECXF portal. This change adds bandwidth resizing for Virtual Connections associated with a customer's own internal network and Oracle FastConnect.
- Virtual Connections bandwidth can be increased or decreased for connections between Layer 2 service profiles for a customer's own internal network or to non API– integrated CSPs with layer 2 Service Profiles (including remote connections) with the following use cases:
- Use Case: a user has a Layer 2 connection between two ports on the ECX Fabric that they own as part of their WAN and, not connecting to a CSP. The customer initially ordered a 50M VC but now want to increase the connection bandwidth to 1G. In this case, no approvals for the bandwidth upgrade would be required but they would need to acknowledge a billing increase.
- Use Case: a user has a Layer 2 connection to a non-API integrated service profile. The owner of the non-integrated service profile needs to approve the bandwidth upgrade first and the user would need to acknowledge a billing increase.
Oracle FastConnect now offers 1,2,3,4,5 and 10G capacities. FastConnect allows for both upgrades and downgrades of bandwidth. Customers with a 10G virtual port for FastConnect are able to take advantage of this capability.
These changes are subject to an Equinix imposed 24- hour billing-rule. This means that only one bandwidth change request per 24- hour period is allowed.
For more details on how to take advantage of FastConnect Bandwidth Resizing, see Oracle FastConnect.
VC Migration – AWS Diversity Correction and Azure Primary/ Secondary
This feature offers our service provider customers the ability to migrate Virtual Connections between ports quickly and easily.
The Equinix NetOps team uses the VC Migration tool to assist customers with migrating between ports. Examples of these tasks:
- Migrating from a 1G port to a 10G port
- Migrating from a standard port to an unlimited port
- A more complex scenario where a customer wants a primary port in one IBX and the secondary port in another IBX, but all of their connections are on one single port
With this change, Equinix administrators can migrate an ECX AWS Seller NNI port VLAN's to another AWS NNI port.
This change adds additional stability since it eliminates situations where a customer’s primary and secondary VCs to AWS could go down simultaneously during AWS maintenance on one AWS router. Other benefits include allowing NetOps to free up existing Equinix-to-AWS standard NNIs with few VCs and repurpose them for high speed Equinix-to-AWS NNIs.
Enable 100G Ports in ECX Portal & API (Layer 2-only)
ECX Fabric portal users are now able to procure a 100G ports online and create Virtual Connections to/ from 100G ports. This change enables users to consolidate capacity and take advantage of investments in 100G routers/ switches.
- Users who purchase services on the ECX Fabric portal can use 100G ports to consolidate existing 10G port LAGs.
- Create multiple 10G VC’s using these newly offered 100G ports.
- Service providers on the ECX Fabric portal can procure a 100G port and then associate it with their service profiles to consolidate seller side capacity.
- The maximum VC bandwidth available is limited to 10G.
Concurrent Session Control
Using this feature, the customer’s master service administrators can configure the maximum number of concurrent sessions that are allowed for their customer organization’s users. Once the organization user reached the maximum number of sessions, they cannot log in and create another session until they terminate one of the existing sessions.
Each login from same or different device is considered one session. Multiple tabs in the same browser constitute only one session. Cross portal navigation from one portal to another in the same browser with one login attempt is also counted as one session.